top of page

And now for something completely different...

Every time I finish a printing session, I remove as much ink as possible from my brayer by rolling it over a piece of 11 x 17 paper. I also sometimes put too much ink on the plate and have to remove the excess the same way. Frequently I will do this over a layer of dried ink which can result in some interesting textures and colours. Being one to never throw anything away, I have been keeping these sheets.

Last week I injured my back (trying to catch an 80lb still-somewhat-sedated dog as he slipped while trying to get up into his crate in my van), so I needed to work on something that I could do in short segments of time, as sitting for any length of time made things worse. It seemed like the perfect opportunity to try my hand at collage, using the above-mentioned sheets of paper.

It was a fun, but very messy (sticky) and fiddly process, but I was pleased with the end result and will try again sometime when I have more sheets of ink built up again.

In the gallery below, you can see some of the paper that I started with and the giant mess I made on our kitchen table (my art desk wasn't big enough for this project!).

12 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page